While many people think of beer and chocolate when they think of Belgium, the country is known for many other things. Here are a few items you might not know are Belgian.
- Inline skates: The original design was by John Joseph Merlin in 1760. Merlin basically took a pair of ice skates and changed the blade out for wheels. Since steering was difficult, the design underwent many redesigns before morphing into the popular skates of today.
- Saxophone: Striving to fill the gap between woodwind and brass instruments, Belgian instrument maker Adolphe Sax developed the saxophone in 1846.
- Mercator Projection: If you have ever used Google Maps, Mapquest or similar sites, chances are you are using one of the most famous Belgian creations. The Mercator Projection has become one of the most popular versions of the world map and it the first that factors in the earth’s spherical shape.
- Imodium: Those who have ever experienced heartburn may be familiar with this drug introduced by Jannsen Pharmaceutical in 1969. Known for its ability to knock out symptoms of stomach upset, the drug has also been listed on World Health Organization’s essential medications list.
- Asphalt: Determined to make smooth roads, Belgian chemist Edward De Smedt patented his invention in 1870, and continued to refine it until he found a formula that enabled cars to have a smooth drive.
Belgian Food Can’t Be Beat
While the inventions that have hailed from Belgium are impressive, the number one thing Belgium is known for is our food. From the finest Belgian chocolates to hand crafted beers, and authentic Belgian waffles & Frites, a trip to Belgium offers you a plethora of food options that will leave your mouth watering simply by walking down the street.
Bruges Waffles & Frites is now searching for franchise partners to run our franchise restaurants. This opportunity allows you to introduce the people of your community to some of the foods Belgium is most famous for without even leaving their hometown! Our unique creations are changing the way America looks at waffles and fries, and giving them a new appreciation for authentic food.
As the owner of one of our restaurant franchises, you will receive all of the tools, training and resources you need to bring a little bit of Europe to your town, and maybe become a celebrity in the process! If you can smell the waffles, we invite you to learn more about our restaurant franchises and the opportunity to participate in a collaborative franchise community.